Title Insurance and Why You Need it
Investing in a home is one of the most important investments you’ll ever make. Title insurance is your policy of protection against the “hidden hazards” often resulting in a claim against your ownership.
A title search is a detailed examination of all available public records concerning a property. These records include unpaid taxes, unsatisfied mortgages, deeds, court records, land restrictions, property and name indexes, and many other documents. The purpose of the search is to verify the seller’s right to transfer ownership and to discover any other claims, defects, or rights and burdens on the property. Title insurance is issued after a close and careful examination of the public records.
However, even the most diligent searches may not fully reveal all of the hidden hazards. Title insurance protects you against the most common hidden risks including:
- Impersonations of the “owner” who isn’t the person they claim to be
- Mistakes in the recording of legal documents
- Forged deeds, releases or wills
- Undisclosed or missing heirs including spouse
- Deeds by minors or persons of unsound mind
- Deeds executed under an invalid or expired power of attorney
Title insurance adds an extra layer of protection. With so much that goes into purchasing a home, a little extra security will bring you peace of mind.
Let our experts handle everything you need during this often confusing process, so you can sit back and relax.